Gov. McMaster will visit Horry County this week to discuss hurricane preparedness with local and state elected officials and emergency workers.
The meeting is set for 10 a.m. Friday at the county’s emergency management division in Conway.
That’s according to the governor’s schedule, which was released before County Emergency Management Director Randy Webster announced late Monday he will retire effective July 31 with 35 years of service.
In just the last the last five years, Webster has managed a 100-year-record rain disaster, as well as two hurricanes and extensive river flooding events.
“It has been a tremendous privilege to work alongside all of the members of Horry County government to serve our community, especially during times of disaster,” Webster said in a statement.
Webster was named Emergency Management Director of the Year in 2016.
Webster has a reputation locally as a calm professional in the face of tragedy, who has managed a transparent department, and earned the respect of his community.
The county has not announced an interim director, but will likely begin the job search to fill that position before Webster steps down next month, in the middle of hurricane season.
The county is still searching for an administrator to replace Chris Eldridge, who was forced to resign earlier this year.
Some council members favored naming Webster as interim administrator during that time.
Webster told My Horry News Monday he was not interested in pursuing the open position.
The Myrtle Beach Post reached out to Webster hours before his retirement was announced Monday night to discuss the details of the governor’s visit, but Webster did not return the call.